yiddish life on page on stage on screen second written assignment
Contrasting Sh. Anskyâ€™s original play (1913-1916) with its later film remake of 1937
Submission date: not later than NOON, November 23, 2018
1. The written assignment should be in the form of a short essay (not more than 4 pages).
2. Please, note that it is far better to write a well formulated, coherently presented, and succinct shorter paper, than fill out numerous pages with loosely connected facts or statements. You must try your best at striking a balance between brief summary, well argued analysis, and appropriate use of concrete examples.
3. Points will be taken off for insufficient editing of the submitted paper (A. misspelling, B. â€œlooseâ€ sentence structure, C. incorrect use of proper and geographical names, and â€“ D. unjustified repetition of information or statements within the same paper, unjustified repetition of information or statements within the same paper, or E. unauthorized use of â€žsecondaryâ€Ÿ sources).
4. The essay must be submitted as an MS Word or PDF Attachment
5. Last but not least: before starting your work on the essay, please consult some general suggestions that are summed up in the PDF document attached to this assignment If despite extensive discussion in class you are still uncertain how to frame your comparison, consider addressing the following issues (in a well-integrated fashion):
1. Discuss at least two major themes of Anskyâ€™s play and contrast them with the major key in which the playâ€™s story is being recast and shown in the film.
2. Contrast the functions and emphases assigned to some of the same main characters in both the play and the film.
3. The film has a number of moments in which the â€œsimpleâ€, â€œpoorâ€, or â€œworking classâ€ people are contrasted with the rich and â€œwell offâ€ characters. How much of this type of contrasting can be found in the original play?
4. Some claim that while the play is more â€œethnographicâ€ (i.e. depicting seemingly premodern peopleâ€™s traditional beliefs and folk customs) whereas the film is also more â€œmysticalâ€ (e.g. the role of the Messenger in each — the play and the film). Comment on this with concrete examples.
5. I there a real â€œculpritâ€ or â€œvillainâ€ that knowingly prevents the â€œpredestinedâ€ union of Leah and Khonnon in the play and who might it be in the film version?
6. How would you stage Anskyâ€™s play for a contemporary production, or how would you choose to rework it for a new film script?
*COMPARE THESE TWO WORKS*
The film can be watched here (the quality & translations are not perfect)
Sh. Anskyâ€™s original play can be seen here or in the attached files
Study Acers provides students with tutoring and help them save time, and excel in their courses. Students LOVE us!No matter what kind of essay paper you need, it is simple and secure to hire an essay writer for a price you can afford at StudyAcers. Save more time for yourself. Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more