The Super Bug: A Possible Global Epidemic?
An emerging concern in public health is the growing number of drug-resistant infectious bacteria, also known as “super bugs” and their evolving resistance to antibiotics. Commonly used antibiotics are quickly becoming ineffective against increasing infections. Drug resistance makes it significantly harder and more expensive to treat an infection and can lead to some of the worst outcomes for the patient. Alarmingly, the number of drug-resistant infections is increasing worldwide indicating the potential for a pandemic. For example, in Britain, the number of deaths from drug-resistant infections increased from 3,757 in 2005 to 8,324 in 2008 (Boseley, 2008).
One of the greatest concerns with regard to drug-resistant bacteria is tuberculosis, which can cause fatal lung infections. Almost every country is reported to have cases of tuberculosis that are resistant to standard first-line drugs. Fifty-eight countries have reported at least one case that is resistant to standard first- and second-line drugs (WHO, 2010).
Using the Argosy University online library resources, find at least two journal articles that address the issue of super bugs and respond to the following:
- Select one type of drug-resistant infectious bacteria, for example, multidrug-resistant tuberculosis bacteria or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus(MRSA). Determine the countries that have the highest concentrations of this infection. Include the country and location. State how many new cases were reported within the last five years in the U.S.
- Identify the bacteria that caused the highest number of drug-resistant infections in the U.S. How do these numbers differ from other countries?
- Examine how public health officials are attempting to control and potentially eliminate drug-resistant bacteria.
- Explain your opinion on the likelihood of drug-resistant bacteria causing a pandemic and the severity of this pandemic.
Support your statements with scholarly references and appropriate examples.
Write your initial response in approximately 350 words. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
By Saturday, February 23, 2013, post your response to the appropriate Discussion Area. Through Wednesday, February 27, 2013, review and comment on at least two peers’ responses. Consider the following:
- Do you agree with your fellow students’ assessments?
- How do your numbers differ from what they posted?
- How does the evidence they presented support the reported numbers?
- What do you think about the public health efforts in place to address this issue?
- What do you think about their assessment for a pandemic? Use the literature to support your statements.
Boseley, S. (2008, August 29). Deaths from hospital bug up by 28%. The Guardian. Retrieved from
World Health Organization (WHO). (2010). 2010/2011 tuberculosis global facts. Retrieved from
Grading Criteria and Rubric
Study Acers provides students with tutoring and help them save time, and excel in their courses. Students LOVE us!No matter what kind of essay paper you need, it is simple and secure to hire an essay writer for a price you can afford at StudyAcers. Save more time for yourself. Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more