social determinants of health
Application: Searching for Health Information on Social Determinants Using the Walden Library Databases
Knowing where to find credible health information is an important skill for any professional in the health sciences. For this application, you will practice using the Walden library database, CINAHL, to locate an article relating to the topic of social determinants and their impact on health.
To prepare for this Application Assignment, review the resources from the Walden Library located under the Writing and Library Skills Resource Guide. Then to complete this assignment, go to the library website and search for an article related to â€œsocial determinants of healthâ€ using the CINAHL database. The article should have been published within the last 5 years.
Read the article you have selected and summarize the main points of the article in 1-2 paragraphs.
How does the social determinant/s spotlighted in the article impact individual and community health?
What health promotion strategies might be used to address this social determinant?
Note: Be sure to include your article as one of your references for this week. See the Writing and Library Skills Resource Guide for reference list examples.
- Article: Benn, H. (2009). The environmental determinants of health. Global Health Promotion March, 16(1, Supp), 42â€“43.
- Article: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (n.d.). The Social-Ecological Model: A Framework for Prevention. Retrieved fromhttp://www.cdc.gov/ViolencePrevention/overview/social-ecologicalmodel.html
- Article: Koh, H. (2011). The ultimate measures of health. Public Health Reports, 126(3), 14â€“15. Retrieved from http://www.publichealthreports.org/issueopen.cfm?articleID=2720
- Article: Murphy, S. L, Jiaquan, X., & Kochanek, M. A. (2012). Deaths: Preliminary Data for 2010. National Vital Statistics Report, 60(4), 5â€“10. Retrieved from:http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr60/nvsr60_04.pdf
- Article: Navarro, V. (2009). What we mean by social determinants of health. Global Health Promotion, 16(1), 5â€“16.
- Article: U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (n.d.). Determinants of Health. Retrieved from http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/about/DOHAbout.aspx
- Article: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (n.d.). Healthy People 2020 topics and objectives: Social determinants of health. Retrieved fromhttp://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topicsobjectives2020/overview.aspx?topicid=39
- Article: Weyers, S., Dragano, N., Richter, M., & Bosma, H. (2010). How does socio economic position link to health behaviour? Sociological pathways and perspectives for health promotion. Global Health Promotion, 17(2), 25â€“33.
- Data Set: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): National Center for Health Statistics (2009). FastStats: Leading Causes of Death. Retrieved fromhttp://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lcod.htm
- Report: Commission on Social Determinants of Health. (2008). Closing the gap in a generation: Health equity through action on the social determinants of health[Final Report – Executive Summary] Geneva: World Health Organization. Retrieved from http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2008/WHO_IER_CSDH_08.1_eng.pdf
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): National Center for Health Statistics
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Vital Signs
World Health Organization (WHO): Social Determinants of Health
Study Acers provides students with tutoring and help them save time, and excel in their courses. Students LOVE us!No matter what kind of essay paper you need, it is simple and secure to hire an essay writer for a price you can afford at StudyAcers. Save more time for yourself. Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more