scenario is based on an actual attack deconstructed at a seminar
The following scenario is based on an actual attack deconstructed at a seminar. The names and locations have been removed to preserve the privacy of the organization in question.
- No-Internal-Controls, LLC is a mid-sized pharmaceutical company in the Midwest of the US employing around 150 employees. It has grown over the past decade by merging with other pharmaceutical companies and purchasing smaller firms.
- Recently No-Internal-Controls, LLC suffered a ransomware attack. The company was able to recover from the attack with the assistance of a third-party IT Services Company.
- After collecting evidence and analyzing the attack, the third party was able to recreate the attack.
- No-Internal-Controls, LLC has a number of PCs configured for employee training
- These training computers use generic logins such as â€œtraining1â€, â€œtraining2â€, etc. with passwords of â€œtraining1â€, â€œtraining2â€, etc.
- The generic logins were not subject to lock out due to incorrect logins
- One of the firms purchased by No-Internal-Controls, LLC allowed Remote Desktop connections from the Internet through the firewall to the internal network for remote employees
- Due to high employee turnover and lack of documentation, none all of the IT staff were aware of the legacy remote access
- The main office has only a single firewall and no DMZ or bastion host exists to mediate incoming remote desktop connections
- The internal network utilized a flat architecture
- An attacker discovered the access by use of a port scan and used a dictionary attack to gain access to one of the training computers
- The attacker ran a script on the compromised machine to elevate his access privileges and gain administrator access
- The attacker installed tools on the compromised host to scan the network and identify network shares
- The attacker copied ransomware into the network shares for the accounting department allowing it spread through the network and encrypt accounting files
- Critical accounting files were backed up and were recovered, but some incidental department and personal files were lost
You have been hired by No-Internal-Controls, LLC in the newly created role of CISO and have been asked to place priority on mitigating further attacks of this type.
- Suggest one or more policies that would help mitigate against attacks similar to this attack
- Suggest one or more controls to support each policy
- Identify each of the controls as physical, administrative, or technical and preventative, detective, or corrective.
- Keep in mind that No-Internal-Controls, LLC is a mid-sized company with a small IT staff and limited budget
- Do not attempt to write full policies, simply summarize each policy you suggest in one or two sentences.
- Clearly indicate how each policy you suggest will help mitigate similar attacks and how each control will support the associated policy
- Be sure to follow APA formatting and provide references to support your key points in the case. Use the book and library resources to find references. Remember references add credibility to writing as well as providing proper credit to your sources.
- Need minimum 1000 words
- Need minimum 5 APA References
- No Plagiarism please
Study Acers provides students with tutoring and help them save time, and excel in their courses. Students LOVE us!No matter what kind of essay paper you need, it is simple and secure to hire an essay writer for a price you can afford at StudyAcers. Save more time for yourself. Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more