questions on the story of the human species
Journey of Man: The Story of the Human Species
Journey of Man answers the question, â€œWhere do we all come from?â€ Today, some six billion people are spread across the planet. But there was a time â€“ not so long ago â€“ when the human species numbered only a few thousand and their world was a single continent: Africa.
Then something happened. A small group left their African homeland on a journey into an unknown, hostile world. Against impossible odds, these extraordinary explorers not only survived but went on to conquer the earth. Their story can finally be told through the science of genetics. Dr. Wells, a 33-year-old geneticist, is part of a team that has been re-writing history. He has been disentangling this epic story from evidence all people carry with them â€“ in their DNA â€“ inherited from those ancient travelers.
Wells travels to every continent in search of the people whose DNA holds humanityâ€™s secret history: the Namibian Bushmen, the Chukchi reindeer herders of the Russian Artic, Native Americans, and Australian Aborigines.
Watch this Film on your own and answer the following questions. You can find this film for free online on many websites. For example: http://digital.films.com/play/SX29S4
You will type up your answers on this sheet and submit them electronically on Canvas. Remember that you will be submitting through plagiarism checking software so ensure your work is your own.
Film Study Guide
- How many thousands of years ago were all of our ancestors living in Africa?
- Where was the first stop on Dr Wellsâ€™ journey, and whom did he meet with?
- Where were the genetic markers (SNPâ€™s) that Dr Wells studied? What does SNP stand for?
- The San bushman showed a â€œcommonâ€ order to the nucleotides laid out on the DNA of their Y chromosomes. What caused the changes (SNPâ€™s) now seen in distant relatives such as us?
- Why were isolated populations easiest to work with in terms of their DNA?
- What is unique about the DNA on the Y chromosome, besides the fact that this DNA is passed only from father to son?
- How did our ancestors make their way out of Africa and into other parts of the world?
- Why did our ancestors leave Africa?
- If we all have the same ancestral origins, why to people from different parts of the world have such different physical features?
- So what can we learn from this research by Wells? Explain the statement: â€œWe are all Africans under the skin.â€
Study Acers provides students with tutoring and help them save time, and excel in their courses. Students LOVE us!No matter what kind of essay paper you need, it is simple and secure to hire an essay writer for a price you can afford at StudyAcers. Save more time for yourself. Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more