1. Solve the following problem A group of 268 overweight people signed up for a weight loss program. Participants were asked to choose whether they wanted to go on a vegetarian diet or follow a traditional low-calorie diet that included some meat. 153 people chose the vegetarian diet, and the rest chose to be in the control group and continue to eat meat. There was a greater weight loss in the vegetarian group.
a. Identify the variables in the study and what types of variables they are.
b. What percentage of people was in the vegetarian group? What percentage was in the meat group? (Round to the nearest percent.)
c. What additional confounding variables might account for the increased weight loss in the vegetarian group? Explain.
d. Describe a better way to design the study that is more likely to remove the effect of confounding variables.
2. olve the following problem, and post your solutions to the discussion forum. Make your first post by Tuesday:
Jose asked a group of students to hold their breath as long as possible, and he recorded the times in seconds. Jose displayed the data in both a histogram and a stemplot, shown here.
Histogram of Breath Holding Data
describe the data by answering the following questions:
- What are the minimum and maximum data values?
- How many people participated in Joseâ€™s experiment?
- Are there any outliers?
- Is the distribution symmetric or skewed?
- Which data value is most common?
- What is the middle value of the data?
- Which graph is easier to interpret? Why?
3. Think about the following questions and write your answer
- Which do you think is larger, the mean number of siblings of people in this class, or the median number of siblings? Justify your answer.
- How would you verify your answer to #1? What questions would you need to ask?
- What variables might account for the difference between the median and the mean?
Click here for things to keep in mind as you complete this discussion [PDF file size 389 KB].
Study Acers provides students with tutoring and help them save time, and excel in their courses. Students LOVE us!No matter what kind of essay paper you need, it is simple and secure to hire an essay writer for a price you can afford at StudyAcers. Save more time for yourself. Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more