global studies public forum
Global Studies Public Forum
Paper Prompt #2: State Challenges
Lebanonâ€™s â€œOctober Revolutionâ€ has spanned several cities in the country and has involved targeting state institutions. What concerns do the protestors have? Do you think that it will be possible for changes in the state to take place? What might those look like?
Some questions to think about:
(Note: These are guiding questions that you could use to frame your argument. You do not have to answer all, or any, of these if you are interested in another aspect of this situation) How has Lebanonâ€™s ruling class maintained control over institutions that provide for the people? What is the geographic scope of the protests? Why did the protests spread so easily? What role did violence play in the development of Lebanonâ€™s current institutions? How have international powers maintained Lebanonâ€™s power structure?
Directions: Use concepts and examples from the assigned course readings and course lectures to respond to the prompt. We are not asking you to summarize the readings/lectures/news sources or answer all the questions above. We are not asking for your unsupported opinions. We are asking you to make your own coherent and well supported argument about the topic. Cite specific concepts, short quotes and examples from the assigned readings and lectures as evidence to support your own argument. Your paper needs to include a thesis statement that outlines your argument and how you will support it.
Some possible sources to provide context:
(Note: These sources are to provide background information on the context in Lebanon. You may use other news sources to inform your understanding of the â€œOctober Revolution.â€ We are not asking you to summarize these articles)
The Art of Not Governing
http://www.synaps.network/lebanon-protests-the-art-of-not-governing (Links to an external site.)
Lebanon Students Skip School as Protestors Eye State Institutions
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/11/lebanon-students-skip-school-protesters-eye-state-institutions-191106131406319.html (Links to an external site.)
Why Thousands Continue to Protest in Lebanonâ€™s Tripoli
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/11/thousands-continue-protest-lebanon-tripoli-191103192341649.html (Links to an external site.)
Competing Protests in Lebanon Bring Thousands on the Streets
https://time.com/5717235/lebanon-protests-beirut/ (Links to an external site.)
Iâ€™m a Jesuit in Lebanon. Hereâ€™s why Iâ€™m protesting with my brothers and sisters. https://www.americamagazine.org/politics-society/2019/11/05/im-jesuit-lebanon-heres-why-im-protesting-my-brothers-and-sisters (Links to an external site.)
Your paper should be 1000-1200 words. Please pay careful attention to spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Remember that citations are required for both paraphrasing and direct quotes from either the text or lecture. Feel free to cite other books and articles as needed. Include a full list of works cited at the back (APA, Chicago, or other citation standard â€“ be consistent!). Please submit your paper on the course website under “Paper Assignment 2” by 5:00 pm on Tuesday, November 19th. If you have trouble submitting your paper online please email it directly to Mary Anne at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Due date: Tuesday, November 19th by 5:00PM.
- Word count: 1000-1200 words.
- Word count includes the title as well as the in-text citations, but excludes the header and the end-of-the-paper bibliography.
- Include your name and ID number on page 1 of your essay.
- Include page numbers and an essay title.
- Your essay should be double-spaced, 12-point font.
- Include a works cited or bibliography at the end of your paper.
- Citations: citations are required for both paraphrasing and direct quotes from either the text or lecture.
- Citation format:
- In-text parenthetical citation (Author year, page number) with a bibliography of works cited at the end of the document.
- e. (Darian-Smith and McCarty 2017, 13)
- Darian-Smith and McCarty. 2017.The Global Turn: Theories, Research Designs, and Methods for Global Studies. Oakland, CA: University of California Press. ISBN: 9780520293038.
- You may use the following example for lecture material:
- IN-TEXT: (McCarty 2019).
- McCarty, Philip. 2019. â€œLecture Titleâ€ Global Studies Forum, October X, 2019, University of California, Irvine.
- See also this link for citation guidelines: https://www.cdlib.org/ (Links to an external site.) See also the bibliography of The Global Turn for additional examples.
- Submission procedure:
- Papers should be uploaded to the course website (Canvas).
- Upload your essay as either a Word document (.doc or .docx) OR PDF (.pdf). If you upload another format your essay will not be scored. If you use Pages, export to another format or print to pdf. There are converters online if you are not able to do this on your computer
- Citation format:
Study Acers provides students with tutoring and help them save time, and excel in their courses. Students LOVE us!No matter what kind of essay paper you need, it is simple and secure to hire an essay writer for a price you can afford at StudyAcers. Save more time for yourself. Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more