current events and rummie
Being aware of the current events around the world and thinking critically about them is one of the responsibilities of being a global citizen. â€œTo be a global citizen, one is knowledgeable of peoples, customs and cultures in regions of the world beyond one’s own; understands the interdependence that holds both promise and peril for the future of the global community; and is committed to combining oneâ€™s learning with a dedication to foster a livable, sustainable world.â€Global Citizenship as defined by the Global Council, April 2018
For this assignment you are to review the current events in the world today and link them to what we are studying in this class. You can review current events in news sources such as CNN, The Los Angeles Times, BBC, or other reliable news sources. You are to relate the current event to our course, upload a link to the article or video you are writing about, and choose a â€œrummieâ€â€”a philosophical word that you then ruminate about.
In sum: your final post (in the Current Events and Rummie discussion thread under Week 5) should have these five points covered and marked clearly.
Use these guides to post your research and include these five points.
- Summarize the main ideas of the current event. You can get current events from newsworthy internet sources such as CNN, Los Angeles Times or other sources you deem reliable sources of news.
- Relate the summary of the current event to our philosophy course.
- Upload a link to the article or video of your current event.
- Choose a â€œrummieâ€ â€”a philosophical word related to the current event.
- Delve into it, ruminate, relate it to contemporary issues or your own life.
- Christians Countering Anti-Muslim Rhetoric. This is a new site about an evangelical Christian pastor, Rev. Josh Graves, in Memphis, TN who believes it is part of his religious beliefs to counter anti-Muslim sentiments by creating a sense of community with local Muslims who practice Islam. He partnered with other Christians to create dinners where Christians and Muslims would gather around dinner tables and get to know each other, Building relationships became a strategy to combat prejudice, and it worked.
- This article and video from Religion and Ethics Newsweekly is related to our class because it shows the value of interfaith dialogue and exploration of multiple views about religion to create a better world. Many of the philosophers we study in this class offer an emphasis on ethics. Socrates inspired people through his actions to examine their lives and be true to themselves just as the Christians in the article found a way to heal anti-Muslim sentiments. Kantâ€™s ethical stance of using a categorical imperative to guide ethical action can also be seen in the article. We can easily see that treating people in a community with compassion and respect would be a good ethical action that should be applied universally.
- Christians Counter Anti-Muslim Rhetoric https://www.pbs.org/wnet/ religionandethics/2016/08/26/christians-countering-anti-muslim-rhetoric/30127/
- The Rummie I choose is Commitment
- Commitment can be defined as “a promise to be loyal to someone or something.” In this case I was impressed Rev. Josh Graves’ commitment to the teachings of Jesus and Christianity, which inspired him to practice his beliefs and create peace in his community by bringing Christians and Muslims together. The rummie “Commitment” inspires me to explore the areas in which I choose to commit myself such as womenâ€™s rights and compassion toward immigrants. This rumination also makes me think about ways in which I demonstrate my commitment toward these issues. If my commitment is not followed by actions can I really say I have a commitment to these issues?
Study Acers provides students with tutoring and help them save time, and excel in their courses. Students LOVE us!No matter what kind of essay paper you need, it is simple and secure to hire an essay writer for a price you can afford at StudyAcers. Save more time for yourself. Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more