assignment two sociology media assignment 1
This assignment aligns with the following course objectives:
- Evaluate the nature and significance of social inequalities in a global society focusing on social class, race, age, gender and other areas of diversity;
- Find, evaluate and cite appropriate academic resources for research in written assignments and oral presentations;
- Apply the sociological perspective by using collaborative problem-solving assignments.
Social inequality can be defined as the unequal distribution of power, privilege and social status among various groups in society. Social inequality is pervasive as the consequences of unequal treatment and resource distribution are reflected in all social institutions. Thus, different outcomes are experienced by different groups of people in the educational system, the criminal justice system, health care industry, the media and political and economic arrangements. Groups of people based on age, race, gender, social class, sex, or sexual orientation experience life differently based on social inequalities.
This assignment will require you to examine, discuss and explain a pattern of social inequality in a form of media. There are many themes of social inequality that are often incorporated into movies, documentaries, films, plays, music and other forms of media. The use of these themes in media allows viewers to see how issues of racism, sexism and other forms of social inequality affect the lives of the characters and their social experiences. Movies, films and other forms of media bring issues of social inequality to our attention and we are better able to understand a range of social problems.
As you prepare for this media assignment, consider the following list of movies that reflect areas of social inequality. Keep in mind that you can select a movie, documentary, film, play, or music CD for your review.
Examples: (You do not have to select any of these… only examples)
Racial Inequality: The Help, 42
Gender Inequality: Confirmation, Hidden Figures
Social Class: Titanic, The Notebook
Sexuality: Milk, The Stonewall Riots
The purpose of this assignment is to have students demonstrate an understanding of a form of social inequality based on age, race, social class, gender, or sex, sexual orientation presented in a movie, film, documentary, book, play or music CD. In addition, specific General Education objectives will be met as they are aligned with course objectives in SOCL 101.
The audience for this assignment is anyone who is interested in acquiring information about patterns of pervasive social inequality based on age, race, social class, gender, sex, sexual orientation that can be empirically analyzed through the media using research materials.
Select a movie, film, documentary, book, play or musician or musical group that addresses an area of social inequality based on age, race, gender, social class, sex, sexual orientation etc. (If you select a music CD, you must provide an assessment of at least four songs on the selected CD.) Your selection can be a classical or a contemporary selection. Thus, there are no year requirements for your selection.
You will be composing a 3 page paper examining an issue of social inequality based on age, race, gender, social class, sexual orientation etc. and how they are represented in media. In your essay, you should address each of the following areas.
- How does your selection relate to a specific area of social inequality based on age, race, gender, social class, or sexual orientation? Are there multiple forms of social inequality represented in your selection? If so, please make the connections of intersectionality throughout the body of your paper.
- Listed below are questions that can serve as a guide as you develop the paper.
– Who are the main characters in your selection and how do they experience a form of social inequality? Provide specific examples from your selection that demonstrate the form of inequality in practice.
– How do the characters respond to being treated unequally?
– What steps are taken in your selection regarding trying to overcome this form of social inequality?
– Do the characters mobilize, start a social movement, or take action in some other organized way as to challenge systemic oppression? Draw parallels between the plot and themes of your selection as they relate to the form of social inequality.
– What are the outcomes of these actions?
- Incorporate and explain five different sociological concepts related to social inequality within your paper. Highlight these concepts in bold print. Select and apply concepts that are relevant to your selected area of social inequality. For example, specific concepts associated gender inequality could include sexism, patriarchy, gender role socialization, pay gap, sexual harassment, glass ceiling etc. The purpose of using and highlighting the concepts is to demonstrate that you can make the connection between your selection and sociological concepts provided in the textbook or in the module readings as they relate to a specific form of social inequality by using concepts from the chapters.
- Use one sociological theory (structural functionalism, conflict, symbolic interaction, feminist, queer theory etc.) to analyze your selection. Draw parallels between the plot and themes in your selection as it relates to the underlying premise of the selected social theory.
- Minimum three pages typed in Times New Roman 12-pt font, double-spaced with 1â€ margins. The references are not included in the assigned page length.
- APA style format and documentation for parenthetical and end of paper citations.
- Use your textbook as one source for this assignment, specifically one of the chapters on social inequality that provides information on your selected topic.
- Select two additional sources from the library databases.
One (1) article should be from a peer-reviewed scholarly journal.
Study Acers provides students with tutoring and help them save time, and excel in their courses. Students LOVE us!No matter what kind of essay paper you need, it is simple and secure to hire an essay writer for a price you can afford at StudyAcers. Save more time for yourself. Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more